Old 08-22-20, 08:21 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4788 Post(s)
Liked 3,914 Times in 2,545 Posts
The Component Everyone Loves Except Me

I just realized what that component is. (In terms of this thread - I've known it for decades.)

Shimano brifters. Any model, any year, any number of cogs and chainrings. They will never be on a ride of mine, Not in this lifetime.

Why? Very simple. I realized many years ago riding in the drops that putting my index or middle finger firmly on the brake lever steadied the handlebars and made reaching for shifters and water bottles on poor roads riding low trail, quick steering racing machines a breeze. But doing that and changing gears or chainrings without thinking? Could be really bad!

When I ordered my ti custom, I had it built for DT shifters (though the builder put on threaded stops at the head tube in case I change my mind). I went out and bought 9-speed Campy wheels and cassettes just so if I ever went brifter it would be brifters that couldn't sucker me into a completely preventable crash.

Ben