Old 08-26-20, 02:28 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
Exactly.

I broke my first bone in a crash last fall - a neck vertebrae - and the docs say I have pre osteoporosis. Which means I'm more breakable I suppose. But I flipped over a guardrail and down a ravine, landed on my head, and crawled back out. I plan to keep on. 93 in nursing home health care isn't looking so great to me.
This happens to be a timely thread for me

I'm sitting here at this very moment with fractured ribs, a healed punctured lung, a cracked pelvis in two places (left side) lots of road rash and generally sore all over from getting down on the deck at about 45mph on a descent. It happened on August 5th; I was removed to the hospital, spent time in ICU, then a step down unit and then home. On August 16th I had a saddle blood clot in both lungs which caused me to stop breathing/stopped my heart (it came from my left calf). The local paramedics saved my life with CPR and I was taken to the hospital from emergency surgery to remove the clots; I was gone for over 10 minutes.

Now my ribs are even more sore than they were before but you can believe I'm happy about it. I'm recovering at home and it'll be mid October before I'm back on the bike; I'll have myself back in shape by Thanksgiving. My crash was a single unit event and is the direct result of a mistake I made. Once I'm recovered I'll ride down every descent as I did before, it won't change me in the least. I have a theory about risk; I think "being careful" leads to a loss of proficiency which can wind up creating an even greater exposure to danger. For sure, I'm gonna die again and while I'm hopeful to have more fun riding my bike, being with family & friends, if it happens it happens. I'd rather live on my terms for however much longer that is.

For me, these bumps in the road are just experiences that wind up preparing me for something else in the future. I don't regret anything "bad" that's ever happened to me (my fault or not) because in the end they always serve to make me stronger and more grateful for every breath. Below are photos of the medical staff who cared for me at the hospital and the paramedics who saved my life (we stopped by on the way home from the hospital). My purpose for posting is to answer the question posed and to give proof that my answer is honest.

The best news is; I don't have COVID

Last edited by nomadmax; 08-26-20 at 02:37 AM.
Likes For nomadmax: