View Single Post
Old 08-28-20, 06:56 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 150 Posts
Originally Posted by xyz View Post
Does this mean you ride on ice?​​​​​​
If you live in a place where snow can accumulate on the roads, then you have to assume that at some point you will encounter ice.
Here in Chicago, we get lots of snow and ice, and it's not always possible to predict the weather with certainty.
The secret to safe riding on ice is to have studded tires. They're somewhat expensive, and they make noise (like frying bacon) on dry pavement, and they do add some rolling resistance... but "black ice" and ice under snow do not pose serious threats to control of the bike. I have a separate dedicated "winter" bike with Schwalbe Marathon Winter tires. When the weather prediction has minimal risk of freezing precipitation, I'll ride my "regular" bike, but when there's a significant possibility of ice on the road, I can switch to the winter bike easily.
My answer to those who complain about the cost of the tires is: "Yes, but what's the co-pay on a broken hip?"
(I'm 70, and have been commuting year-'round for over 18 years.)

My "winter" bike. Studded tires, rear roller brake, fenders & mud flaps.

Arriving at work in the winter in Chicago. There's ice under those "mashed potatoes", but the studs make the difference.
Likes For sweeks: