Old 09-02-20, 08:11 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
To each his own. I've tried them in 40 degree weather, still too hot. Might be good for running errand here or there but 2-3 hours on the bike and you will be taking it off
Spent hours in them. Actually last years Hincapie ride, I had my bright red gore tex jacket and it honestly, saved me.

The Gore riding gear is huge in Europe as it works great in those conditions. Also, a Gore jacket does not have a water proof layer added, the Gore layer is the water proof layer. All their patent was is the ability to make variable pore sizes. So they can make a pore that allows air to escape (small particle) but won't allow a water particle to pass (too large).

Also you have to keep in mind that there are two major types of Gore Jackets. Certain jackets, the "Wind Stopper stuff, will actually block wind so the layer beneath the Gore layer will get wet from sweat and won't dry as the Gore layer is blocking it.

That stuff should be used to keep warm and that is about it. Use regular Gore stuff to keep dry.