Old 09-08-20, 09:56 AM
Plainsman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 30 Posts
Advice - are there bikes with "Endurance" geometry that are ALSO relatively light???

Looking for some advice. Here is what I've looked at so far...

Specialized Roubaix Ultegra mechanical
Canyon Endurace 8.0 Ultegra Mechanical
Scott Addict 10 Ultegra Mechancial
Giant Defy Advanced 1 Ultegra Mechancial
Trek Emonda SL5 105
(All Disc - all similar price points - Emonda/Specialized are the pricier outliers)

I like to climb, I will not be racing this. Lots of fun rollers where I live. I will do some brisk weekly group rides (but probably average no more than 20/21 mph in a group for 30 miles or so). I will be looking for events/sportives, usually with climbing, 65-105 miles. Every ride is not a hammer ride (most are not), more social rides with friends - we just don't toddle along. My current bike is 18.5 pounds and climbs fine (rim brake). I have really long legs relative to height, so even with endurance geo I'm not sitting up, I get decent saddle to bar drop. It just seems like you have to choose, either light with a stretched out race frame (Aeroad / TCR / Madone / Tarmac), or a weight penalty for taller stack and less reach with lots of comfort features. Ideally I would take the shorter reach without the additional comfort features. Funny, in the offerings above, the Giant Defy is actually lighter than the Emonda, even though the Emonda is billed as a climbing bike. Probably because at the price point the Emonda is 105 while the Defy is Ultegra. Ironically, I'm being told the Emonda is better if I'm climbing, while it already weighs almost 20 pounds in a size 56 (I need a size 60), and the Defy I'm looking at in size large is just shy of 19 pounds. I'm headed towards the Defy right now (looks good, pending test ride), but wondering if I'm missing any options in this group. At my height and budget, I've given up on having a 16 pound bike, especially with everything going to disc, but I would love that 17-18 range. (I would be planning on upgrading wheels later to CF on any of these options - maybe use the stock wheels for the very rare day of gravel - but the ability to ride gravel is not a decision point for me). Specialized is the most expensive and a bit out of my range (and has even more stack than I want - Trek Emonda is second most expensive and also one of the heaviest offerings)