Old 09-14-20, 12:43 PM
Robert A

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by aliasfox
If you're comparing low end to high end in the same brand and product family, you'll generally get lighter weight and more aero as you go up the scale. Different carbon fiber can help with that (ie, aero tends to be heavier, but use a better CF and you can make the same shape lighter).

Higher end frames may get different ride tuning for more "comfort" - ie, I believe a midrange 2018 Bianchi Intenso is the same bike as the older Bianchi Infinito before Bianchi started making the Infinito CV with ride dampening characteristics. At least, the marketing says it rides smoother, I don't know.

You may also get different cosmetics, ie internal cable routing.

But really, if you're starting at a $2k bike and going into a $10k bike, you're already deep into diminishing returns territory. Going from $1000 to $2000 on a frame could save you 500 grams or more; going from $2000 to $4000 might save you 200 grams or less. Same can be said with many pieces of hobby equipment - you can buy a working 60" LCD for $500, but an LG OLED will run you $3k (or $10k). Some of us will appreciate the difference, others won't. A $500 sound system sounds great to some people, others aren't happy until they get B&Ws hooked up to McIntosh.
Very helpful answer -- thank you.

Do you think aero really matters on a bike frame at speeds around 20-25 mph? It always seemed to me that airflow around our bodies and our positions on the handbars far outweighted the impact of frames.