Old 09-14-20, 02:46 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I do enable Google maps tracking by default for emergency purposes. Came in handy when I was hit by a car a couple of years ago. Confirmed my version of events. Google Maps Timeline can be set to record our activities by default and is smart enough to differentiate between cycling, walking and motor vehicle movements. But it's not great for fitness tracking and the file format needs to be converted to use with other fitness apps.

I use Wahoo Fitness to record rides, then upload to Strava. Wahoo Fitness is more reliable, less resource intensive, and still supports sensors like heart monitors, cadence/speed sensors, etc. Free, easy to use and works well.

I only use Strava to check my ride data and keep up with friends. It's mostly a social network minus the drama.

In paid apps, Cyclemeter is very good for iPhone.

For navigation, Ride With GPS and others are good, but only in the premium paid versions.

If you decide to try a bike computer, there are a few around $100 or less that offer some navigation aids, etc. Check Bryton and Lezyne. Some will interface with our phones to notify us of incoming calls and texts. I use an inexpensive XOSS G+ that records GPS routes but doesn't offer any navigation aids, very minimalist.
Likes For canklecat: