View Single Post
Old 09-15-20, 06:50 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 126 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote View Post
I would be very careful if following this advice, as it would be easy to overdo it. I have worn merino wool pretty much every day from fall through spring for at least fifteen years, and I've only once screwed up in the laundry -- ran two of my fave wool jerseys through a warm dryer cycle. They shrunk so much that I had to pass them along to a much smaller friend. The wool was practically felted because it shrank so much.

If I wanted to shrink a merino wool jersey, I would wash it as normally (cold water, gentle cycle), then dry it on medium heat and take it out of the dryer every five mins to check the shrinkage.
+1!!! This!!!
The real wild card on wool clothing is whether all the panels are fitted identically 'with the weave' of the fabric. It is easy to 'warp' a wool garment if they are not all aligned. It applies to both knitted wool fabric and broadcloth wool such as with suits. This is also what determines whether it shrinks more vertically or horizontally. I never had an issue with either my wool jerseys or shorts. The real risk is the dryer, as sometimes the warm cycle is too hot.

I love wool clothes and all my suits are 100% wool that is still so nice in the DC- area summer. It is also why I now use non-skin-style shorts. Good 100% wool ones are so expensive (and I now want pockets). A wool cycling jersey has to be experienced to truly feel the benefits. Plus they remain cool and non-stinky if given proper care.
Likes For Bill in VA: