View Single Post
Old 09-16-20, 08:56 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
I’m headed out for a 3 day 300 mile credit card tour tomorrow to the NC coast with 6 others. On top of Sally going to dump several inches of rain on us, my Garmin 1000 bike computer just crapped out. The power button is a rubber piece Encased in the side of the unit, and it decided to tear off this morning. But after looking at it, all that’s needed is a small screwdriver to push down on another button inside the unit to turn the power off and on. But the tear leaves the unit with a hole in the side. I’m hoping duct tape covering the hole will keep the moisture out. If water infiltrates the unit it’s probably toast. I have all 3 days routes loaded (lots of back roads) so keeping my fingers crossed that the duct tape will hold up.

I also loaded the routes on an older Garmin 705 as a backup. But when I tried syncing the 705 to my computer to download the routes, I had a heck of a time finding a cord that would actually not only power up the unit but also connect the data. I finally found one in an old Garmin box I had stashed away. What was supposed to take 15 minutes wound up taking a couple hours. Darn electronics............not to mention my new Cyclic cameras are not usable right now, either. I guess the rear one is not as waterproof as it needs to be??? but I guess it’s still 2020
This is how my Edge1000 went away. I asked Garmin about a fix. They offered $175USD out-of-warranty replacement. For a cracked power button that cost a penny.

I ended up selling that unit to a friend who lives in KC. He literally walked into the Garmin HQ there and asked about it--and got a replacement for free.