View Single Post
Old 09-28-20, 01:50 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
....I can't tell from looking at your photos, but there were some generational differences over the years with ARAYA 27" rims.

The condensed version of this history is that the earliest examples had little or no bead hook on the rims...so it's nearly impossible to fully inflate a more modern high pressure 27" tyre on one and not have it blow off the rim. Later on they got more of a bead hook, so they become less problematic as you progress in time. Once again, I can't see yours well enough to determine if there is or is not an adequate bead hook. If you have them in person, reach down in there and run your fingernail up from the bead seat to see if there's a hook or overhang. Some of these early bead hook adaptations are not really all that secure either.

Otherwise, they are serviceable rims, if a bit on the heavy side.
The ones intended for wired-on tires have a "W/O" stamped in the inner wall near the valve hole.

Also they have had rims designed fro different tires, 27 x 1 ¼, 27 x 1 ⅛, and possibly one made for 27 x 1. Or I could be mixing up Araya with Ukai. Any case, I have a pair of the 1 ¼ in 36 holes with Schraider valves. I was going to try them on my slowly-growing 1981 Trek 720, but I just popped on a set of 700c with CR-18s and 30 mm Strada Bianca, and I think there may be a set of 35 mm clinchers in that bike's future. I've been looking for a set of Wolber or Super Champions, but I don't think it's in the cards. But for the 720, it even looks like carefully-laid fenders might be possible.