Old 10-01-20, 12:59 AM
cdgeorge

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
Yes, I think you did well for £55.

While cold-setting the frame to accept 11 speeds is certainly possible I wouldn't do that just yet. My advice would be to find a nice used 27" wheel set with a 5-speed freewheel and take it from there. You can run it as a single speed (and have a few gears to choose from), add a rear derailleur and shift lever and make it a 1 x 5, or add an inner chain ring and a front derailleur and make it a 2 x 5. Lots of possibilities, and parts needn't be expensive.
I've been riding the bike - and where no doubt it is smooth helped by the quality frame - that large chain ring (don't laugh, I had to Google what this part was called on a bike) makes it more effort - it's hard enough getting used to a fixie as it is.

I like your logical thinking in starting with a 5-speed freewheel. I don't need many gears at all - in fact I have a freewheel fixie with a smaller chain ring at home which allows me to ride pretty much all round my surrounding area without too much effort. In essence - all I want and need is probably a 5-speed bike just to keep it simple and add a little more flexibility. Sometimes I wonder why we need more than just 5-gears in most circumstances as long as the range is good enough from low to high, perhaps it's just a numbers game and helps sell stock.

Questions from a newbie like me though:
1. Why do I need to change the wheels - they look good on this bike already?
2. If I buy the 5-speed freewheel - can I literally use it like a single speed bike for the time being by manually using my hands for choosing the cog for the chain to rest on while I don't have the shift lever to do that for me? Perhaps the chain tensioner already fitted to this bike will help keep the chain tight on the selected cog so it doesn't jump about.
3. The parts don't need to be expensive part - usually higher quality parts make for a lighter bike or more reliable gear changing - hopefully someone will point me to a set which is a good value for money compromise.

Thanks.