View Single Post
Old 10-04-20, 02:21 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Supercourse Fondo A Go-Go, or

100km in one shot!

Yesterday morning, I woke up before dawn, checked my tire pressure, pulled on my kit, ate a bowl of oatmeal, and met a couple friends to ride 100km.

Running with Giants.

We had a typical Ohio fall day, with a frost advisory until 9 and afternoon temperatures in the low 60's.

43°F mostly cloudy with moody clouds.

On the way out, I learned where the Suntour V GT Luxe derailleur liked the Simplex prestige levers to be during gear changes. I also learned that the cooler temperatures shrink the aluminum bars and clamp enough that riding on the hoods would move the bars on me more easily than I like, especially over the bumpy and occasionally root-raised asphalt of the trails. I rode on the ramps or in the drops instead. It also became clear to me that while my hands might not lose all feeling in the cold, my joints will certainly move slower. We had a unanimous vote to buy a warm beverage when the opportunity arose.

Old whistle stop diner, basically halfway. Excuse the NDS shot.
The diner's coffee was excellent black, by diner standards. The clouds began thinning enough for the sun to start shining through. It was pleasant. Our destination was less than a mile away.
This destination was the goal.
I had intended to try some glamor shots with the bike in and around the bridge, but we were behind (a rather optimistic and frankly brutal) schedule. I took a couple pictures of the headbadge in nice light instead.

Glamour headshot.
We had a nice chat with a Senior walking his dogs at the park. His dachshund gave my rear tire a sniff and a short bark, which the gentleman translated as his dog telling me she likes my bike. He asked us where we came from and staggered when we told him we'd come from Columbus. "That's got to be 30 miles away! You guys must want to live to be 100!" We chatted for a few more minutes, then started the return leg. My GPS watch was running low on battery, so I started recording on my phone. My watch died about a quarter of the way back, so I'm glad I did; I needed to have a proof of my ride! A steady 6 mph quartering wind had picked up as well, first from the south, then later the north.
Returning to Columbus involved plenty of deceptive "invisible" climbs. Our route utilized the extensive and expanding network of MUPs that typically follow waterways, and now we were returning upstream. Just before the steepest incline of the ride, I realized my seatpost had been slipping imperceptibly, and I had lost 1-1.5 cm of height. I was really regretting not bringing an adjustable wrench along now. I weighed my options, then decided to add some zig-zags to my seatpost, for optimal pedaling efficiency when I really needed it.
Not long after that, I noticed my rear tire had gone flat after a section of the trail that uses an overpass that is always glittering with broken glass. My fellow riders were on Gatorskins and were happy their stiff, heavy tires fended off the sparkling shards. I was happy that I (as usual) had my flat kit and the frame pump.
About 9km from home my buddies peeled off to grab some lunch and a few beers. I had already finished my electrolyte mix, half a 500mL bottle of water, an apple and two Rxbars over the ride, but now my leg muscles were still threatening to cramp, with another two climbs left. I wished I still had bananas at home. The last bit I took easy, and rode in my small ring (I've turned in my "hard cyclist" card already &#128546 while stretching my muscles as best as I could. My children were outside playing and ran to hug me. I didn't mind trying to stay standing as they ran into me.

She might not look tired, but I was!

😬 Seatpost slipped down during the ride, now i have zig-zags. Boo.

I've decided that if I can ride this bike for 100km comfortably, then I'll keep it. I'm not entirely happy with the reach on the handlebars, but I'm sure that more time refining lever placement will help that.

I'm not sure how to account for the frame pump, as it's not permanently attached to the bike, and I routinely carry a pump of some sort and a toolkit for flats or other minor mechanical problems. Including that cost will put me over $100.

TLR
I rode the Supercourse for 110km in one go. I like the bike (and love the color) and will keep her in the stable. I couldn't tighten the 12mm nuts for my slipping handlebars and seatpost, and I had a flat.

Last edited by Unca_Sam; 10-04-20 at 09:32 PM.
Likes For Unca_Sam: