Old 10-04-20, 08:41 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 600 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4417 Post(s)
Liked 2,416 Times in 1,563 Posts
You're not doing anything wrong. That measurement is just a hair over 90mm. It's far closer to 90.0mm than 90.5mm.The line is pretty thick and the measurement point is on the inside edge, where the overlap would have been. I judge it at ~90.1mm, which gives a 28.69mm diameter. That's close enough to 28.6mm to state definitively that it's an imperial standard seat tube. A 28.0mm metric standard tube would have a circumference of 87.9mm and the measurement is nowhere near that.

Torresini did use the diamond cutouts for the higher end models, so they would be the leading candidate for manufacturer. As for it being the Saronni brand established by the pro cyclist, it seems too early. He didn't turn pro until 1977 and didn't have the marketability until after he won the 1979 Giro d'Italia on a Bottecchia for the SCIC team. At that point, Ernesto Colnago became interested, orchestrating a new sponsorship deal for Saronni's team with GIS Gelati and providing them with Colnago bicycles for the 1980 season. Saronni became Colnago's personal project and he set about promoting Saronni as the golden boy of Italian cycling, including manufacturing a line of Saronni bicycles. I don't believe there were any Saronni bicycles until after Colnago stepped into his life.

Later Saronni bicycles were manufactured by others than Colnago but the subject bicycle appears much older. Regardless, any Saronni I've seen that was manufactured after late 1982 have always borne the World Championship stripes to symbolize his 1982 victory at Goodwood. Unless there was a prior Saronni brand, the decals arer suspect. The Reynolds decals don't appear to be legitimate based on the apparent ridges in the steering column.
Likes For T-Mar: