pm124
Car free since 1995

Bikes: M5 Carbon High Racer, Trek Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
Be ready for sticker shock. The good ones are expensive. The cheap ones are heavy and usually have a very limited gear range that you would soon outgrow as you gained your "trike legs". Recumbent trikes do not use muscles the same way as you do on a road bike so most beginning riders need an adjustment period to get even close to what they accomplished on a DF bike. A few recumbent trikes come in different frame sizes but many offer just one size and you move the boom in and out to get the trike to fit. At the same time you must adjust the chain length to get the gears to work correctly by adding or removing chain links. You might find a used trike for sale and save a bundle but if you know nothing about trikes, that can be risky. There are just 3 trikes listed on my local CL. A pair of 9 speed 43 pound trikes with an accessory trailer for $3,900 and a Sun EZ-3 SX for $650. It weighs 56 pounds and has 21 speeds and cost around $1,100 new. I wouldn't recommend either one if you are a serious rider due to the weights and gear setup. The ad for the pair of trikes says, "like new condition, barely used". I guess that is why they are asking near the new price for them but seem to forget subsequent buyers don't get a warranty.
Performer makes a well-priced trike for the weight and will ship it to you. If you have $$ for for a Bacchetta carbon speed monster. Those are probably the two best value for the money trikes.