Old 10-12-20, 09:06 AM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Caber Guy
Well it was fun while it lasted. I cut through some woods between the trail and picked up a large branch in my rear derailer, snapped the arm right off. What a crazy coincidence, I was JUST thinking about replacing the whole drive set anyway! It’s never shifted particularly well, I’ve already worn out a cassette and inner chain ring and it doesn’t like to stay in any gear for more than two minutes...

HowMuch money am I looking at, is it even worth upgrading the drive train? And what kind would work? I know It’s an entry-level aluminum frame, but I love the heck out of my comfy green machine.
There is a question/answer section on Salsa's page for the Claris equipped Journeyman. Several others looking to do the same...upgrade their claris Journeyman. I would say $300 on the low side. The wheels are 8/9/10 speed, but will work with one specific shimano 11 speed cassette. It's frequently not the most cost effective to upgrade drivetrains....but I've done it several times. You have room to do a bit of piece meal upgrade. If you were staying with cable actuated brakes, you can go standard 105 shifters, for example, then down the road upgrade the brakes to TRP Hyrds, which are hydraulic, that work with cable actuated shifters/brake levers. I've really liked them, and they aren't an expensive upgrade. Otherwise, just replace the rear derailleur, and wait until you've worn out the other components.