Old 10-13-20, 07:01 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
I use to use Paraffin wax (without the Slick 50 I spoke of earlier) and I don't think it works as good as the first bike lube that came out called Tri-Flow, some lubes I've tried after that was worse like liquid wax lube made by any manufacture all sucked. The test I always used was chain life, and using paraffin or liquid wax in a bottle the chains only lasted an average of 5,000 miles, with Tri-Flow my chain life went up to about 12,000 miles as it did with other no wax lubes. The best lube in a bottle I've used after 40 some odd years is Rock N Roll Ultimate Dry; I did have to apply it a lot initially, about every 100 miles, but after 6 or 7 applications I now find it doesn't need to be reapplied but every 400 miles maybe, it also stands up to rain which no dry lube I'ver used ever did that! I use Rock N Roll on my road bike but I just started experimenting with Dumonde Tech Lite lube on my touring bike this summer, not sure what to think of it yet, I need more time using it.

The secret to Rock N Roll is to FOLLOW the directions, using the stream method as the company mentions allows the lube to clean the chain, then you run the chain half a dozen time, then wipe the chain like crazy constantly moving the rag to clean area, once the black streaks stop showing you're good to go, then after every ride you wipe it again till the rag is virtually clean, if you don't wipe the chain it will become gummy, but wiping the chain a lot will remove the gummy feeling. Applying the lube a drop on every fifth roller will not clean the chain, it seems wasteful to stream it on, but after a while, you don't have to apply it as often. I started using Rock N Roll when I bought the bike, the chain is the original chain, it has about 8,000 miles on it and is only half worn.

I'm following the directions on the Dumonde lube too, but like I said not sure yet of the long term lasting ability, nor chain life yet since the chain only has about 1,000 miles.