View Single Post
Old 10-16-20, 02:54 PM
nervous24

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Ridea HT1 Lightweight track hubs

Haven't seen much on these and thought some others might be interested.

I've been dying to replace my old wheels with something a little more modern (read wider) and also lose some rotational weight in the process. the latter will be quite easy to achieve as I still run a set of way-stronger-than-my-skinny-ass-will-ever-need 36/36h Formula/Deep V's on the bike from when I first built it back in 2012. Having a larger budget doesn't hurt either so I started hunting for something a little nicer.

For whatever reason, I just don't like low flange hubs nor did I want anything too heavy. This didn't leave many options for the specs I was looking for (black hubs in either 24/28h or 28/28h drillings). I considered Mack Hubs but didn't want to spend quite that much but would if I had to so I could get what I wanted on the bike. Mack's wait time (while reasonable) was a small deterrent but ultimately was not a huge influence on the purchase.

While clicking my way around the web I stumbled on the Ridea HT1 hub set. I found them intriguing given the decent price ($200-ish per set) and rather low claimed weight (390g/set including lockring). I looked around a bit more and while I wasn't able to find much, I did come across one guy who laced up a set and spoke highly of them. Even though the positive experience I found was a tragically small sample size I decided to roll the dice and give them a go. I didn't expect them to be quite as light as they claimed (not many parts are), but even a 10% variance would see them weigh in on the very light end for a set of high flange hubs and super close to, or possibly even lighter (!) than the more expensive (and admittedly higher quality) Mack hubs. Finding a good deal on the Ridea hubs made the choice a bit easier as well.

Also of note, albeit a small one, the provided lockring, should you choose to use it, works with the BBT-19.2 tool. The threading is standard 1.29" x 24 tpi so you can use your Dura Ace ring (or whatever) if you prefer. I included photos of the weights with both the Ridea lockring and a DA version (spoiler alert: its not much) for those that would opt to go that route.

On to the photos!

Front hub weight

Rear hub weight (w/o supplied lockring)

Hub set weight (the scale did roll over to 398g just after I snapped this)

Set weight w/Ridea lockring

Set weight w/Dura Ace lockring

Pretty impressive in my opinion. Only 8g (+ 2.05%) over their claimed weight w/o lockring and only 19g (+ 4.87%) over with it.

Planning to build these up with a pair of Easton R90 SL Disc rims. Estimated weight for the new set should be something in the 1600-1700g range. That should see me drop somewhere around 600g from my current set. Psyched.

I will update the thread after I get them built up, which will be reasonably soon. In the meantime, I am happy to answer questions if anyone happens to have them.