Old 10-18-20, 04:26 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 517 Times in 325 Posts
Originally Posted by MarkusForest View Post
Hello people. Here is a challenge

I am thinking of buying this Peugeot. Could anyone help with IDing this Peugeot road bike? The thing is, these are the only pictures I could get. I might go buy this as a winter project. Thoughts?

Many thanks,
The frame is the bottom-end one. The only Peugeots I have seen with Altenberger brakes were 1985-ish, and this looks quite a bit earlier based on decals, so I think they were added. Don't know why, Racers are great. It's also probable that the wheels, while correct for the era, are not original. They're QR tubulars; in Canada this frame most usually was sold with 27" chrome rims, and often nutted hubs.

If you want a project go ahead and pay the $100, that's only the start (for example you can get cheap tubular tyres 3 for $50 plus shipping somewhere in the US). You'll find good replacement hub (if Normandy) bearings rare. It is almost certainly french-threaded and french-sized (tubing) which adds another level of rarity (=cost) to replacement parts. The stem may be dangerous to use (see "AVA death stem"). And let us know if your front derailleur has cracked yet.

Can you tell I love french bikes?

Last edited by oneclick; 10-18-20 at 04:48 PM.