View Single Post
Old 10-19-20, 08:36 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3458 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
I think you are looking at a dynohub.

Several years ago I bought a dyno powered headlight on a clearance price, no switch on it. Sat on my shelf for a few years. Then I got lucky and got a low cost dynohub wheel that had been donated to a charity. Put it on my errand bike. In my case it is a Shimano hub, they are grounded to the fork, the light is also grounded to the mount, steel fork is conductive, thus one wire from hub to light was all that was needed. My fork has fender mounts, your carbon fork might not. But my light is off to the side far enough that the shadow behind the wheel is off to the side far enough that it does not bother me. I just used a piece of threaded rod and some nuts to mount it.

The light being this low gives a lot of shadows for dips in the road, etc., so if I was going to use this very much I would raise the light up higher but for my errand bike for short shopping trips it is adequate.

It however hangs up on some bike racks at stores.