Old 10-19-20, 09:39 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,485 Times in 4,187 Posts
Originally Posted by voyager1
Hi everyone!

I have a 1991 Trek 1200 that I am thinking about updating. I plan on using it as a backup bike. With the miles that I have put on it, I am probably be getting a new chain for it. I figure this might be a good time to do a little updating. I want to keep it 7 speed and DT shifting.

So my question is this. I pretty much never use the big chain ring, is that something that is easy to make for more comfortable riding? The crankset has 53/42 up front and the cassette is 13-23.

I understand I can’t make this bike like my Domane, but I can’t imagine riding this 1200 in the 42 almost exclusively is probably good for that ring.

ETA: Looking at the Vintage Trek website, would converting this bike to a triple be a better way to go?
get a 110/74bcd crank. They are very common on ebay or at bike collectives(ours at least). Use the outside 2 ring spots and ignore the small 3rd granny location. You can set up gearing that is much more valuable for your style of riding.

53/42 and 13/23 is completely absurd gearing for many and current enthusiast road bike gearing shows how poorly spec'd road bikes were 30-40 years ago for most cyclists.
Get a 46t or 48t large ring. Then get a 34t small ring. bolt em on and you have gearing that is for sure more useful.
Likes For mstateglfr: