Old 10-19-20, 10:05 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
It can work with the right rear derailleur.

I have those MicroShift R7 shifters. No problems. They're plasticity inside but has been reliable. Metal shift and brake levers. Everything is smooth and crisp.

​​​​
I did the same with the same opinion of the results, including the longer reach. Works really good though. I swapped out the original SunTour FD and RD for new Shimano Claris front and rear. I had to install inline cable adjusters for additional adjustment and the Claris FD was a pain to dial in but I got it. Put a Shimano 7 speed freewheel to replace the SunTour 6 speed FW.

In my application I have 27x1 3/8 tires and the original bike had suicide brake levers which incorporated the brake quick release. I wanted to get rid of the suicide levers and did but this was another problem with an associated cost.

So, my opinion? The conversion can be done. Cost? Figure $60 for the new shifters and $30 for the 7 speed freewheel. That's $100 Unknowns include but not a conclusive list bar tape, cable adjusters, SIS derailleur(s) as needed, chain replacement(?), brake hardware, cables. The cost can get out of control very easy. You never really know what's behind the living room wall until you open it up.