View Single Post
Old 10-19-20, 11:59 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by BikingViking793
I do a lot of road cycling and a little gravel riding and am really wanting a mountain bike for some trail riding. The reality is that it’s a bike I’ll probably use 4-5X a year so keeping the budget low to like $400. In the 90s I had a nice mountain bike and went out on the trails and had fun with friends. Seems a lot has changed for mountain bikes. Due to the budget I’m mostly leaning towards bikesdirect, they have a cheap 27.5” with disc brakes. But I’m curious if anyone has good suggestions for my budget. I’m about 5,6 so a 29” might not be to my liking and 26” seems to be on the out? Only close local bike shop is trek, but there are a few other options within an hour. Been looking at used bikes the last month and not much showing in my size. Most are really old or not great bikes. I worry a used mountain bike could easily have lots of issues too. Curious for any suggestions before I buy something.
Lots of used 26" at that price point. If you're going to use sporadically and you're not going to ride technical terrain at high speed, I'd choose a fully rigid bike so you don't have to spend money to maintain a nice fork or risk ruining it.