View Single Post
Old 10-19-20, 01:21 PM
nervous24

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by seau grateau
I'd take track nuts over allen bolts any day. but maybe that's just me.
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
It's not just you. Anyone who's raced on the track knows what happens when you don't sufficiently tighten the rear wheel on the drive side.
Originally Posted by seau grateau
Yeah, no bueno. It's the one thing that's always made me look a little sideways at Phil hubs.
I don't dislike track nuts but allen bolts aren't bad. From everything I can find, thru-axle hubs require slightly less torque than axle nuts bolted to the frame. I also recall reading that Phil used to offer a mixed bolt on their track hubs (like the All-City New Sheriff) but stopped doing so because people were over torquing them too easily.

Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
I just weight weenie threads.

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Another track nut fan. I don't qualify for the hub discussion here. All my fix gear hubs are Miche, both single sided and flip-flop (both fixed) at whatever weight Miches are and whatever flange height they happened to be. No sexy lightening holes (the webs between I broke twice with Campy NR track hubs). Correction, I am still running a Campy Tipo front hub, very high flange with its circular cutouts with a ridiculous number of miles on it. Never heard of one of those flanges breaking. Not a light hub either!

The day will come when I lace either my nicest existing hubs or new to <400 gram tubular rims and mount <300 gram tubulars. 32 spoke DT Revolutions or equiv. Fun wheels!

Re: those track nuts - I remove and replace the rear wheel all the time. Yesterday to put the appropriate cog on for a 50 mile out and back on a windy day, then on the MUP I flipped the wheel to a cog one tooth bigger to wind down the last two miles. I use the Pedros Trixie or peanut butter wrenches with handles wrapped with inner tube. Makes getting the nut snug easy, even when light-headed or very tired (tops of mountain climbs or late in rides). I have one Allen bolted front wheel. For that bike the Allen hub makes getting the wheel in and out of a very stiff LowRider rack far easier than a QR but I have no desire to go Allen bolt hub anywhere else and certainly not in back. If I were given an Allen bolted rear hub, I"d do my best to see if I could swap the axle out to longer and nutted.

Ben

Edit: spelling
No prerequisites here, man. Everyone is welcome to join in

As I said above, no issue with track nuts. I am just open to trying something new. Maybe I will hate them, maybe I won't? Time will tell and I'll report back when my verdict is in.

I've seen your "ready for damn near everything" setup. While I salute your preparedness, that isn't quite for me.

Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
You must be a real blast to hang out with.
"When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser."