View Single Post
Old 10-20-20, 09:52 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
My question concerns the possibility of removing the front disc brake assembly and installing a rim brake to shave off a bit more weight. What challenges does this present? Can a rim brake be used on a wheel that doesn’t have a polished braking surface?
Without a fork change, installing a rim brake isn’t an option. Nor is using a rim brake on the current wheels. Disc rims don ‘t use thinner metal for the sidewalls, they use shorter sidewalls. There’s just no place for the brake pads to get a purchase on the rim during braking. The pads are likely to dive into the spokes if you try.

There are some things you can do to lighten the bike but none of them are going to be cheap. I would have started with the frame and not bought a steel frame. Aluminum is durable enough for a lighter rider. Aluminum is durable enough for a heavy weight like me. But that is water under the bridge.

The easy changes are handlebar, seatpost, stem, and saddle. Go for a carbon bar and seatpost. Look at weight of stems and get one that is lighter. Swap the saddle for one with titanium rails or perhaps carbon ones. You are probably looking at $200 to $300 to save around a pound.

You could change the brakes but the Spyre C is pretty light at about 160 g each. Spyre SLC are about 150 g. 10g isn’t enough of a weight change to even consider.

Probably the best thing you could do would be lighter wheels. I wouldn’t necessarily go carbon...it’s just too expensive...but there are lots of options out there that would be lighter than the OEM wheels. I’d build a set using White Industries XMR or CLD hubs with a titanium freehub, a Velocity A23 rim (around 450g), and DT Swiss Alpine III spokes. The spokes are a little heavier than double butted...about 7 g per wheel...but much stronger. You could probably build with 28 spokes and have the equivalent of at least a 32 spoke wheel and perhaps a 36. Reducing the number of spokes won’t make that much of a difference on weight but it shaves a little.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute: