View Single Post
Old 10-21-20, 02:32 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi

Sounds like you may have been over-dressed for the level of exertion. For commuting in the winter, I would aim for warm but not sweaty, adjusting effort and/or apparel as necessary.
Originally Posted by impolexg
... The trick is to work hard enough to be warm without sweating from the torso....

You really don't want to find yourself sweating, be attentive and stop and manage your layers. If you sweat you will freeze when you stop.
Our bodies don’t all work the same way WRT temperature management. Mine runs on a simplified program: pulse up = sweat on
And that’s it really.
If I dress down to the level where I don’t sweat, I get hypothermic.
I usually don’t notice while I’m moving though, it hits me when I stop. It’s been so bad I’ve had to be helped inside, couldn’t manage the key.
My modified approach is to dress so that I don’t soak EVERYTHING, and to swap out the sacrificial base layer at every longer stop.
I spent years chasing the holy grail of just right clothing, got into a couple of nasty situations due to being underdressed. Now, I pick a different approach of moisture management and is generally both more comfortable and safer during winter exercise.