View Single Post
Old 10-24-20, 01:27 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
Originally Posted by btppberk
I did like the solitude and remoteness of Kitchen Creek. Felt a bit like backpacking. I think its probably a lot more beautiful when it isn't so brown and a bit hazy.

You've whet my appetite for Boulder Creek. Need to get some wheels that can take 28s first. I tried putting them on my narrow rims, and was getting pinch flats with every pothole.

Thanks for the tip on Wynola. WIll try for Wednesday. It's gonna be cold for a few days and I left all my cold-weather gear on the East Coast!
boulder creek is about 20 miles with a big chunk of it on dirt. i recommend doing it south to north. zero services (except on the ends in descanso and wynola/julian) and phone service is spotty at best so be prepared. i’ve only done it on cheaper ‘23’s (would not do it on the nice conti 5000’s or michelin pro 4’s) but i can’t recommend doing it on anything less than ‘28’s. northern maze of roads can be a little confusing before you hit ca hwys 78/79 in between wynola and julian so map it out first.

along with wynola rd, i’d try to do farmers rd (which intersects wynola rd. near the summit) as well. shortish-like 2.5 miles-and takes you directly to/from julian. it’s pretty and worth mixing in.

Last edited by diphthong; 10-24-20 at 02:04 PM.