Old 10-24-20, 10:10 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,577 Posts
I did one of these calls once on tour, I had a bit of a mental breakdown and couldn't continue, it was terrible. Luckily my friend made out quite well on this as she was taking a big trip and needed stuff, I gave her a $300 jacket and helped get her a bunch of other stuff she needed and bought her lunch and a whole bunch of other stuff. I really made it worth her while and thanked her repeatedly. I would not do that over something small like a flat fix, this was me unable to function and just getting hit with deep depression. You get one phone a friend, you better use it wisely.

If I had a friend who called me over a flat I would laugh for a while and hang up the phone. I can deal with a flat on a ride and minor mechanical stuff. If the bike becomes truly unrideable and unfixable then yeah sure I might call an über or if really desperate call a friend who I know is in the area and can help but honestly I would just try and figure things out on my own. If I could have dealt with the other problem myself I would have rather done that and continued on the tour but sadly I prepared in every way but mentally, I thought oh yeah I can do this easy. All I need to do is ride a bunch and camp, I love both those things. I got all the gear I need from past stuff and a few new things I got because I worked at an outdoor store so why not. However I didn't prepare my mind for the solo trip and where it might go if left unattended.