Old 10-27-20, 10:53 AM
kevsf

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KJ43
Gotcha.

Yes, the Bay Trail connects to the Baylands area in Palo Alto. I've done a loop around the South Bay and returning over the Dumbarton Bridge that starts in Palo Alto Baylands and uses the Bay Trail for a large portion of the ride. It's a fun, flat ride and could be done on a road bike though there are some gravel sections that are a bit loose. For a 45 mile loop it takes me about 2 1/2 hours if I ride at a good pace.

For road riding I highly recommend getting used to looping through Portola Valley. It's very bike friendly and will get you used to some rolling rides without making you climb for long periods of time.

Also, Foothill Expressway is a good flat road to get some miles on that will eventually link you to other stuff both north and south when you get more endurance. And again, Canada Road is super bike friendly too.

How comfortable are you with climbing?
Is Portola Valley where Stanford Dish is or south west of it? I haven't been on Canada Road but I biked thru the Sawyer Camp Trail just north of it two weeks ago. It was nice but alot of pedestrians. I'll check out Canada Road sometime

I think I'm comfortable with quarter-mile climbs currently but would be interested in doing more/longer in the future. I notice it's easier to climb if I'm wearing cycling shorts vs baggy shorts. How is climbing measured?