Thread: Upgrade
View Single Post
Old 10-27-20, 02:15 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,830 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
I can give you a few first hand accounts if you wish

Nometheless, I still run hydros on my primary “A Game” MTB.
Were the brake failures specifically due to the fact that the brakes were hydraulic discs? Obviously,, every any and every component on a bike can fail if it is used beyond design capacity ... but I don't hear people demanding a return to rigid forks when a seal blows.

If a brake line rips free .... that same accident could have ripped loose a cable. And a caliper can snap as well as any other component could ... The implication of prior posts were (IMO) that hydro disk brakes were more finicky, harder to live with, and less durable, compared to any cable-actuated brake system.

I have been hit by cars while riding on the road. Given the results of some of those collisions ... I could say that steel frames were weak and feeble and as a genre insufficient for use by cyclists .... and nobody would even bother to laugh, because the absurdity would be too huge to be humorous.

I see the carping about disc brakes so be similar.