View Single Post
Old 10-29-20, 08:28 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6944 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
If you leave a little Orange Seal out to dry, it's pretty obviously liquid latex with glitter added as a clotting agent.

With tires that don't seal so great against the rim (in my experience "tubeless ready" tires) yeah, Orange Seal will dry out in a few months, though I've never had to add any to a tire. I've change a few Specialized Roubaix Pros that were dry. A real tubeless tire such as the GP5000TL is a different story. The ones I've changed (6 or 8 so far) have all had Orange Seal left inside after 6 months.

Maybe how tubeless is great for some and not so great for others just comes down to what's in your area that causes punctures. For me it's those little wires that fray off of steel belted tires that are worn all the way down. Those seal up pretty much immediately. I suspect lower pressures seal better too. I know I see less weeping punctures at lower pressure.
From reading these threads, I also think that people's experiences with tubeless have much to do with whether they understand (1) how to set it up, (2) how to maintain it, and (3) how to handle things when they have the rare puncture that doesn't instantly seal up.

If you don't know what you're doing, tubeless might not work well.
Likes For Koyote: