View Single Post
Old 10-29-20, 10:22 PM
Mista Sparkle

Bikes: 2007 Fuji Roubaix, 2018 Trek Marlin 5, Huffy Baron (Retired), Schwinn Twinn (On Deck)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Sorry, typing while putting kids to bed...

I'm assuming you are an average person, of average health, unless otherwise stated.

Anyway, I'm not saying not to try the Adventure, but I am saying try something else too. It's that there isn't a place for more comfortable bikes, I had a Huffy that rode like a cadillac. It was tough to push around, It was a piece of garbage but it was still fun, and great for short hops here and there.

On the front suspension, you will find that on a more upright bike, most of your weight is over the rear wheel, so there isn't a lot of force there to soften, they bike may run with a very soft suspension to make up for it and this will suck energy if you are trying to pick up the pace a bit. Usually larger volume, lower pressure tires do an excellent job smoothing out the smaller bumps of day to day riding, including things like sidewalk seams, cracks in the road etc. Front suspensions are also heavy and more expensive than a non-suspension alternative, so other parts of the bike will supper for a fixed cost.

On the seat topic, you didn't mention it, but big squishy seats can restrict blood flow, especially if poorly fit. There is some wiggle room here, but I'd suggest sticking with the seat for a little while before considering changing it. Or the saddle that comes with the bike may be immediately painful, in which case you should look at something else.

I'm assuming you like the Cannondale shop, Looking around, I'd check out the Treadwell series. Its upright, has large volume tires, you get disk brakes, and somewhat adjustable handle bars. You could try a quick too, but this a bit more flat bar road bike but I do like this category a lot.

If you have a Trek store around, check out the Verve (an upright hybrid) , loft and townie lines. Note that Trek doesn't offer any comfort bikes with suspension forks. There is the FX line as well but that more of a flat bar road bike type thing. If you try a quick and don't like it you probably wont like the fx either.