Old 10-30-20, 09:13 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
I, too, have taken advantage of the low Shimano prices from EU vendors while they lasted. The big savings for NA buyers was not having to pay the significant VATs. Even with the VAT it still looks like the EU market has cheaper prices. I just looked up the Bike24 price for a Shimano Ultegra FC-R8000 Crankset: $216 to Germans (with VAT). The Jenson USA price is $270. I've heard that EU-based shops can by directly from Shimano, but that shops in NA are compelled to buy from middleman wholesalers like UBS or QBP who seem to be in a position to control prices.
And that is the problem that should be resolved. Not trade restrictions. Then at least large US retailers can buy at lower cost and hopefully have better offerings.

When I compare prices, I compare the prices excluding VAT or sales tax. on bike24.de, when you select your country and language, it shows prices without VAT. Bonus points for CRC, they also show the price in your currency (USD in my case)

Reminds me of the time the Ottoman empire was the only path for spices from Asia to Europe. Then someone found a sea route to Asia, and then QBP the Ottoman empire lost out. The solution shouldn't be to forbid sea travel. But if we can learn one thing from history, it is that we don't learn from history. Luddites and yesterday people will continue to try to force the old system on us.

If there was no internet, I wouldn't know the actual price is much less. But once you know you get cheated, you get mad.

The funny thing is, the US is pretty good with textile distribution (also from Asia). When I get visitors rom Europe, they buy bulk of clothing because here it is much more plentiful and cheaper. Unfortunately my hobby is biking, so I'm stuck with the opposite.