View Single Post
Old 10-31-20, 10:15 AM
Pitbull pedal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaskar
Am I understanding that correctly - basically, the test simulated a 200 lbs rider pedaling for 20 hours? That hardly seems "brutal" - it's about two week's worth of riding for most cyclists.
My current pedals have (and this is admittedly a wild as estimation based on 4,500 miles/yr; factoring speed, cadence, coasting...)... roughly 3,000,000 cycles on the same bearings - with no failures. 1/30th of that - in a lab setting with no dirt, water/rain, etc. - just seems so far from the expected life of a pedal to be a significant data point.
I must be misunderstanding the tests.
We thought the same thing when we got into this testing. We had no idea how bad it really was. If you just think about it for a second, riding your bike how long do you really have 200lbs on the pedal at any one time? This test puts 200lbs onto the pedal and spins it for 100k revolutions consecutively. No coasting or brakes, nothing. The friction causes heat which causes fatigue which then causes failure. Trust me that portion of the test is one of the hardest to get through.

Originally Posted by mgopack42
Good luck, I had to go searching for the previous threads to see what you were talking about. Looks like an interesting product idea.
Thanks, I think that we've finally gotten it perfected. As we have now made it through all the testing for the original pedals and our latest pedal model is down to 95g each which will need to go through the same ISO testing.

Originally Posted by znomit
You got a “C”?
Yes, as the person below stated it means compliant.

Originally Posted by bahula03
Not that I disagree with the sentiment here but "C: Compliant; Product meets specified standard"
Thanks you are correct.

Originally Posted by znomit
A 40cm drop test? So it's maybe less durable than an iPhone screen?
https://www.cnet.com/news/apple-ipho...n-tough-glass/
No this impact is ridiculous. I'm sure some engineer or someone on this forum can figure out the mathematical equation of the impact test. You drop 34lbs from 16" high into the center of the pedal. The 34lbs impacts the pedal with only a very small area of impact. It is actually a radius. I'm sure that the 34lbs traveling 16" creates an enormous impact vs just thinking of it as 34lbs. We had to change the center core to a different material to absorb this impact.