Old 11-03-20, 04:53 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
Go for the Velicity Quills, I say!
Your 32x32 Shimano Sante’ hubs with their pearl white would most likely look cool with the Quill rims in white, though matte Silver or polished would also look classy with your EM.
The Quill rims are reasonably lightweight, and they have a roomy 21mm internal rim width which you could really exploit to full effect with higher performance tire choices.
Since the 32 spoke hubs will build up plenty strong, you could have your wheel builder use lighter stainless butted spokes such as DT Swiss Revolutions.
Thank you! As enticing as the options presented so far have been, the other thing that makes me lean toward the Quills is custom powder coating. The more I look at the bike, and more of this excellent Rousanne I drink, the more I think I could go white rear rim, green front rim.

The best test of an idea is to see if it lasts through the hangover.

Originally Posted by seypat
You can easily swap the freehub body to one that accepts Hyperglide.
Very good to know, but really? These hubs are only 126mm wide. Seven speeds is enough. I don't intend to suffer on this bike much.

Originally Posted by seypat
What size tires are on there now? If they are < 28 you might have clearance issues. I'm not seeing much room under the brake bridge.
Sharp eye! 28mm on the front and 26 was the largest that would fit on the rear without rubbing, and even that becomes iffy if I pump them past 110psi.
She still had the original Specialized tires (19mm! Remember when we all thought 19mm tires pumped up to 125psi made you a real racer?!) from 1986 when I bought her. The rubber tread was flaking off the threadbare sidewalls and the tubes dissolved when I levered the tires off.

Last edited by calamarichris; 11-03-20 at 05:21 PM.