View Single Post
Old 11-09-20, 10:35 AM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
Just to complicate matters, there's "self-supported." I use that term for my style. I'll ride into town for groceries, meals, showers, motels, etc. I'd consider "unsupported" doing none of the above, relying only on what you carry with no outside support, even getting your water from natural sources. (That definition comes more from the long-distance hiking/trail running world.)
So you would consider resupplying on-the-go "support". Interesting.

On the same subject - Are there any longer trips you have done where you would consider them "unsupported" by your terms? I know you state your treks you would classify as "self-supported" instead. Just curious.

Thinking out loud - I would be curious how long one could be out by your terminology of "unsupported". In my case, I can filter water on-the-go if necessary. Unless I am in remote areas with less pollution likely in the water sources I don't like to do that unless I have to (I have, I just don't like to and will do what I can to get tap water or buy bottled). So the two limiting factors for me are fuel and food - at what point do I get low? Or, how much can I carry? Or can I stretch what I have by fishing/hunting or cooking over a wood fire?

I don't like wood fires because that soots up my pots/pans. In fact, I can't recall cooking in camp over a wood fire since around 2008 maybe. I used to do that to cook things like instant oats and easy mac around a camp fire as I didn't have a stove at the time and didn't want to use others' stoves. Thats also why I don't like dealing with soot - been there, done that (and a bit of ash in the meal...).
Likes For KC8QVO: