View Single Post
Old 11-09-20, 04:40 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
There is no opposite of Black Ice!®. There is no black ice. Ice is colorless like the water that forms it. Ice on plants isn’t called green ice. Ice that might form on a red rose isn’t called red ice. Ice on my white vehicle isn’t any more white than the ice that might form on my wife’s car is blue. It’s just ice...good ol’ plain colorless frozen water.
I have to wonder if you've ever encountered black ice. No one believes that it is black. It is clear and on the black asphalt it is black. With the slightest roughing of the surface it neither reflects light showing it is there or gives you the slightest clue that you should be careful.

At noon on a fairly warm day I hit black ice that hadn't melted in the cold temperatures in the shade. If you had the sun on you it felt warm but in the shade it was still below freezing. Coming around a 160 degree left turn I luckily took the turn tightly and so was near the center of the road when I hit it and slid 10 or more feet across the road, slowly falling down when I struck dry pavement and was jerked upright and back on course without falling. If you think that you can tell when and where black ice might appear you're incorrect. Even the exhaust of a car can form black ice.
Likes For RiceAWay: