Old 11-17-20, 11:43 AM
melikebikey35

Bikes: Cervelo R5 disc - Limited, Cervelo Aspero

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Plainsman
Maybe this is a silly question, but I've been doing a little reading, and aren't the Light Bicycle Wheels also Chinese wheels? (Like Hunt)? Boyd also has a new series out called the Prologue. The run $1050.00, but are a bit heavier than the offerings from Hunt or LB (>1500g for the pair). It looks like I could hover around $1200 for some Falcon WR45s or bump up a bit to $1300 - $1350 and have an AR45 Pro set. This is more than I wanted to spend, but I did see they have a flyweight option that puts a wheelset at just over 1300g, which is crazy light in my limited book. Not sure what qualifies someone to ride a flyweight wheel though. I average around 150 pounds. Must admit I'm intrigued by LB at the moment though.
There is a substantial difference between the WR and AR, so you need to pick the one that is right for your riding conditions, and prefered tire size. With a 25mm inner width, and a 32mm outer the WR is designed for gravel use and the wider tires that go with it. Personally, I wouldn't go narrower than a 30c tire on them, especially if going hookless. In which case, I'd say 32c at the minimum.

If you are riding road and prefer 25-28c tires, than go with the AR model. At 150lbs, you'll be fine with the flyweight version. Once you get up to ~170 lbs it seems like LB recommends sticking to the standard version, or flyweight on the front only.