Old 11-18-20, 06:06 PM
prime winner

Bikes: Trek Verve 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts
Did wreck cause problem or did problem cause wreck?

I bought my new 2021 Trek Verve 2 in the middle of October, had it about a month now. On Nov 1st I wrecked and needed 8 stitches just below my right knee, and also had several minor spots of road rash. When it happened, and since then, my thought was that I turned right into a parking lot, was going too fast and wiped out on some wet soil/debris. It was not raining but had been several hours prior. There was no standing water. When I got up I picked up my bike and my handle bars were turned one way and my front tire the opposite way. I straightened it together mostly, and then I put my chain back on. I then rode home, was just under 4 miles, and I do not recall hearing anything that sounded like damage from the wreck. After I got home I only noticed my right pedal is scuffed up, my right ergon 5 bar end is really scuffed up, and the left bar end a little scuffed up. No other apparent damage to the bike. The tires were not the stock bontrager tires, I replaced trem with new continental speed ride tires.

So today, 18 days after the wreck, I go to the bike to see if the handlebars are aligned because I remembered them being just a tad off on the ride home. They were a little off so I put one hand on my seat and the other hand on a handlebar grip, and was able to turn the handlebars without much effort. They were not loose, but I didn't have to put much effort in to it.

So, is it more likely that the wreck caused the handlebars and fork to be turned without much effort, or is it more likely that the handlebar and fork were not properly tightened and that's what caused me to wreck? Again, my first thought was fast I was going too fast (maybe 9-10 mph?) and wiped out on wet soil/debris.