Old 11-22-20, 10:24 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by BROOKLINEBIKER
I've thought of ZipCar & Lyft but I'm concerned about having to disinfect constantly, etc.
Something with a live driver could be an issue. But for hourly rental, I think you're misplacing the COVID concern.

Put on your mask. Open all the doors for a minute or two, and then you're going to be safer inside than in a store you go to. Yes, treat everything you touch in the car as contaminated, but that's not that hard. Keep your mask on in the car, but again, not hard. Really treating surfaces and your hands as dirty should be the norm when outside your own home anyway, and increasingly we're learning that surface contamination isn't the big driver anyway, so a little hand sanitizer and not touching your face and you should be fine.

Also while I enjoy cycling-based grocery and essentials shopping, in terms of COVID risk making one big grocery shop a week is lower risk than making smaller ones every few days. So that points to either a trailer or full pannier load out (and I've seen people with exactly that) or using the zip car to do a big shopping trip once a week (there is some unfortunate irony with the per-visit limits stores placed on many items). The once a week takes mental discipline though, I have a decent grocery store a five minute walk away so often find my way there for just a few fresh veggies to augment borrowing a car from relatives to drive to the next town over for a week's worth of basics (a wooded rail trail ride that stopped being as appealing when advancing dusk passed the dinner hour at which checkout lines shortened).

Last edited by UniChris; 11-23-20 at 10:19 AM.