View Single Post
Old 12-03-20, 11:40 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Frame with horizontal dropouts or track ends, although if a bike has track ends, chances are good that it already has a fixed or flip-flop hub.

While not fixed gear, six of the bikes in my family's fleet are conversions -- single speed, coaster, and IGH builds. Both of my kids built up single speed bikes. My preference is for steel frames so I can adjust the dropout spacing as needed. Longer dropout slots are preferable. Clearance for wider tires is preferable.

Next, choose a bike that has good components on it, your preference of upright or drop bar, and detachable chain rings of a mainstream BCD so it's not a nightmare to swap rings. The more "keepers" on the bike, the less you have to spend on parts.

Beyond that, I doubt the criteria are much different than for any other kind of bike. It needs to fit your body and suit your preferences for things like tire width, fenders and other accessories per your preference etc.

Look in the picture thread. You'll see that it really covers the gamut. There is certainly a widespread fixie style, but it's not your only option.

Good brakes are a must-have in my fleet.
Likes For Gresp15C: