Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture
Why don't you like steel.

Thst bike looks weird. Is it for cargo?
Yes, it's for cargo (Or simply just a bag for work or grocery getting or whatever). It's sort of like a miniature Omnium cargo. Or what is referred to as a "short john" (as opposed to a "long john".

As for steel, I don't like it, because I don't like it. Corrosion being one of the reasons as I don't do "good-weather bikes", I ride my bikes year round, and I don't like the weight of steel bikes either. Now, people can own steel bikes as much as they do, and I have to admit that a lot of "pretty" bikes I stumble upon are steel (no sarcasm, I do mean they're pretty).

The Omnium Cargo I own myself is made from titanium because I didn't want their "standard" frame which is steel. I haven't owned a steel bike for 25-30 years or so as it is something I actively avoid.

In the end, it is not some deep "belief" I feel the need to "convert" people to or whatever. It is just a personal preference.

That said, I have just been corrected that that particular model of theirs is actually alu, so that's good! It still doesn't have a backstay splitter for a belt, but at least the frame is not something that needs maintenance itself.