CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture
Agree with you that stiffness is obviously better for power transfer, but there are strategic points in the frame which would benefit from a slight amount of compliance.
I disagree. Frame/fork flex is uncontrolled and works against you. You may want some give in the grips/bar wrap, but the rest should be in the tyres or a suspension if you have one.

First off, try building a steel frame. See if you can make a good one. Once you do, keep trying with aluminum. If you're good enough, titanium is your next bet. Then you'll be simply the best.
Why would I do that? I have better things to do than to weld bike frames. I can't even see how that in any way influence how a bike is to ride on.

Considering that the majority of us ride a frame which wasn't built by us, we feel like we must have such high standards while disregarding the very foundation of what allowed bicycle frames to adopt into contemporary carbon, titanium and alloy counterparts.
Ah, I see, so because someone can weld a steel frame in their shed, it must somehow be a better product?
I honestly don't get your point here.

Oh, and btw, both the titanium and steel bikes are made from alloys. Titanium alloys and iron alloys. If not, you'd have a superflexy noodly titanium bike, and you'd have a pure-iron bike as your "steel" bike. Aluminium too. Aluminium bikes are made from aluminium alloys.
Sorry, but it's a bit of a sticking point for me when people use "alloy" when they mean "alu/aluminum/aluminium. You would never use pure titanium for a bike, and you'd never use pure iron for a bike either. Same is true of aluminium.

I give you that welding together a steel frame can be done by most anyone back in their garden. However, it takes quite a lot of skill to make a good one. Welding steel as such is easier than the others, but it's just a skill and the correct setup. And,no, I have no intention of investing in a titanium welding setup or attempt to make own home-brewed frame (or fork) from carbon. Making it myself is pointless and has nothing to do with the different shortcomings of various materials.

I also have a pro built my wheels. I could do it myself, but a pro with the right tools and better knowledge and routine will be better at it, making for stronger wheels in the end. I want as stiff and rigid wheels as possible, thank you very much.

Last edited by CargoDane; 12-04-20 at 08:34 PM.