View Single Post
Old 12-06-20, 01:41 PM
fourfa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
If budget permits, and you’re a serious year-round cyclist (not just planning for this One Big Trip) I can highly recommend something new, the Gore Shake-Dry fabric. In the past I’ve mountaineered, backpacked, traveled, and bike-toured extensively with ProShell technical WPB shells. Wore one out, replaced under lifetime warranty (arcteryx), will always have one of these.

But I got a shakedry jacket on sale couple years ago, and holy cow it’s amazing. Very light, packs down to nothing, totally waterproof, and more breathable than anything I’ve ever experienced. One caveat, it’s a 2-layer WPB fabric, the backer and the membrane. Generic heavy WPBs are 3-layer with backers front and rear protecting the membrane. They’re heavy and don’t breathe that well. 2 layer can be a lot more breathable but the membrane is more exposed to potential damage. With shakedry the membrane is on the outside so it can never be used with a backpack, or bushwhacking hiking.

Many people will not bother with WPB, and rather make do with waterproof non-breathables and use vents and zips for temperature control. This works, it’s simple, it’s cheap, it’s less fragile. All I can say is my shakedry is extremely comfortable in a very broad range of conditions and for me, an all-season bike enthusiast, it’s been worth it.

As for other rain gear - I agree with the framework of Stay Dry vs Warm & Wet. I’ve been a hybrid - keep the top and core dry, but let legs and particularly feet get warm & wet. I have tried and chewed through 3-4 shoe covers and they’re the worst. The best of them just seem to delay the onset of wet - for a half hour commute they can do the job. For all day rain touring there’s no choice, your feet will eventually be wet. Best to have one pair of neoprene socks to manage if it will potentially be very cold. These are commonly found in paddling and canyoneering supply and can be very comfortable to wear in shoes. If it’ll be warmer, nothing more than wool-blend socks needed.

Last edited by fourfa; 12-06-20 at 01:47 PM.
Likes For fourfa: