Old 12-06-20, 02:16 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,063 Times in 1,081 Posts
Rollers in the 80's. I hated every minute but somehow found the motivation for hour-long sessions for a couple winters. Eventually I gifted them to a bud, who has never ridden them once. Smart guy.

Through the 90's and 2000's, off an on gym memberships. I rode the various indoor trainers. Hated. Every. Minute.

Back then I lived in Indiana, which has a variety of bitter cold, freeze/thaw, snow/slush/refrozen slush, ice storms, etc. Nonetheless I started riding outdoors in winter to avoid the much hated indoor stuff. -20F was my low; at that temp, skin coverage and moisture management are where it's at. Still better than riding indoors.

I lived in west Texas for a bit, which has mild winters but between darkness and 70-80mph rural road traffic, winter riding was limited. Commuting and weekend rides were okay, no indoor stuff during that time.

Somewhere in there I signed up for a spin class. Me, 20 young women, and a trainer screaming at us over the loud music to PICK IT UP PICK IT UP PICK IT UP when I was already at the limit. Slightly less horrid than rollers in my basement, and I hit the spring in the best shape ever. In fact I finally hit my 400 miles in 24 hour goal that year at the N24H Challenge. But still pretty much hated it and don't care to repeat.

Last fall I broke my neck in a crash on a dark twisty descent. Which gave me time to think about life choices whilst waiting for things to mend back together. Recovery rides started on the indoor trainer. I Hated. Every. Minute.

Right now I have a mag trainer in the garage, picked up for free, that's not going to see 100 miles with me because it's just a boredom inducing torture machine. I'm not going to say I'd rather break my neck. But almost.

Yesterday I rode 145 miles outdoors, dark to dark. The dark bit getting back into Portland sucked due to traffic and crap in the bike lanes, but still better than indoors. Problem is I don't get out enough to keep fitness where I want it.

At 60 I'm feeling the need to add more structured training to slow the inevitable downward athletic slide, so a smart trainer is coming. I feel it's probably a waste of $, but at least I get a deep discount so it won't hurt so much. Who knows, maybe all the technology entertainment garbage will make it tolerable. Thing is, I look at pixels all day long for $$, and I kinda don't want to look at pixels as my stress reliever.
Likes For downtube42: