Old 12-07-20, 02:23 AM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Schlafen
In light of previous posts, there are no rules of thumb when going vintage, despite what some consider vintage for whatever reason, you can make your own rules, because who's going to stop you? You don't need anyone's approval. 'Vintage' changes every decade or so.

However there are a few things worth considering:

-are you looking for vintage bikes because of the ride feel? You will have to simply ride the bikes.
If you put modern components on vintage frames, the change will be night and day. My preferred MO.

-are you starting a personal collection? then pick whatever you want, it's your collection, who cares what others consider vintage or valuable.

-are you collecting because of value/resale value/as an investment? stick with the known, tried and true brands, Colnago, Bianchi etc.

- for lightweight race bikes, check period correct races (Tour de France, Giro d'Italia, etc) for bikes, brands, models, tubing, etc.

-are you looking to fix up/flip bikes? the more cogs at the rear the better.

As you mentioned you're in your 70's, I'd let my money burn a hole, look at high quality pictures of them on the web and get myself something I can comfortably ride a lot and enjoy riding.

As far as componentry, because of the age of these bicycles, not many still rock original components, so not really a rule of thumb, especially on cheap barn finds etc.
Don't be fooled, when people on this forum find bargains, they know what they're doing.

Personally I'm only interested in vintage frames/forks, as the rest of the components are pretty much garbage compared to what's available today, this is my personal opinion, which is an opinion possibly not shared by anyone else on this forum.
I'm certain other people love them and that's absolutely fine, I have no problen with that. If I can sell them for others to enjoy, instead of throwing them away, even better.

Then again, I'm in my early 30's so pretty much any bike older than 2000- vintage, older than 1990- fossil, older than 1980- I don't go there.

Don't take the replies personal, it's only the internet.
I'm new here too, so welcome 😁 .
you might have a point there I sold my Rossin record( bought new) ,all campy super record from the 1980s .I bought newer Casati, from the late 1990s and was amazing how much better than brakes worked, the dual pivot campy Centaur brakes have amazing stopping powere an smooth.
I will say I should have kept the Rossin ,, the Columbus SL frame was smooth , and had no toe over lap ( my pet peeve) . It road very well on fast road racing and also century rides. Some of the older frames just have a geometry and feel to them .. My opinion

​​​​​​​

Last edited by rossiny; 12-07-20 at 02:26 AM.