Thread: Handlebars
View Single Post
Old 12-14-20, 07:57 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3455 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
Funnily enough I just this morning received a package containing the Denham Bar. I'll try it out first on my utility bike and if it works i'll transfer it to my touring bike.

I've long used a drop bar on a tourer but I've recently come to consider other options. I rarely use the drops on tour but I'm always pining for a shorter position. Because my touring bike has been too long for me I've ended up going too fast to keep my composure up on the bike which has led to fast but short days on the bike. A shorter fit likely would allow me to go easier and longer for more distance.
When I try to size a new bike or frame that I might purchase for use with drop bars, the first thing I look at is top tube length, and only after that do I look a stand over height. And now with sloping top tubes being so common, standover height is almost never a concern for me.

One of my bikes, the manufacturer did not make a drop bar version, so the sizing was a little more complicated as I was buying a slightly smaller frame than I would normally buy to get the top tube length that I wanted, which meant a lot of seatpost sticking out of the frame. I was rather nervous about ordering this frame, as it is the most expensive frame I have bought and I was buying it from Europe so shipping and customs would make a return very difficult.

I use the drops about 30 percent of the time, mostly for headwinds. There have been days with strong headwinds where I am so happy I have drop bars.

But it really is personal preference. A lot of people in Europe tour on flat bars so there is some regional variation too.

So, if you would prefer to sit more upright, go for it.