View Single Post
Old 12-14-20, 11:10 AM
La Tortue

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Danhedonia
Like many, I've purchased a smart trainer and am using various software for "pain cave" sessions. As a dedicated Fred, I've noticed that trainer riding and outdoor riding are not correlative. As a guy who once used rollers, I get that - but what I am seeing in others is an increasing focus on short-ride performance.

In other words, I suspect that many who are cutting their teeth as indoor cyclists will find longer rides a challenge.

Or maybe I'm in really poor shape, or maybe I just can't be bothered to destroy myself for 35 minutes and call that "riding."

The two activities don't feel as related as I'd thought. Anyone else?

Clearly, smart trainers are not for everyone. It's quite an investment for those only looking to pedal solo as an exercise bike. Peloton might be a better investment or simply a cheap non-smart trainer. Those entering the smart trainer arena will get much more satisfaction if they use all of the opportunities the smart trainer provides. Of course, some do not have the muscular/skeletal makeup to endure a trainer session. Those should stay clear of this money trap. However, the hundreds of thousands that have adapted are in for a treat as the smart trainer is a great companion to ones outdoor bike.

To fully enjoy the smart trainer one needs to use the workout, custom workouts, group workouts, and understand how to introduce them into your current riding scenario along with the other areas it provides. Although it's not outdoor racing the smart trainer racing circuit is a fun and different twist that spices up indoor riding and will give you an honest look at your current condition. The Team Time Trial races are especially fun in that you work, communicate, and enjoy your teammates' company. This quickly takes away the boredom associated with pedaling while looking at a bare wall. If you own a smart trainer and you haven't participated in a TTT using Discord to communicate you are missing out on one of the smart trainers' greatest assets. There is a whole lot more including creating routes that mimick your upcoming ride/race or simply famous cycling routes. The esports community is huge and if you don't use the assets that come with it then you are missing the boat when it comes to maximizing the use of a smart trainer. Those merely riding and looking at the dinosaurs are probably better off skipping this booming new niche in cycling as this is only about 3% of what the smart trainer provides.

Last edited by La Tortue; 12-14-20 at 11:48 AM.