Old 12-15-20, 07:24 AM
skidder
Bipsycorider

Bikes: Why yes, I do have a few! Thank you for asking!

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 367 Times in 262 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
I've played violin since very little, and nowadays play in my local civic orchestra (or did until the March lockdown canceled our upcoming concert), so I have a lot of musical experience. But I've always wanted to add piano as a foundation.

I wanted to find a 'piano for musicians' kind of curriculum, but everything seemed too basic. (I didn't look all that hard though).

I ended up just picking slow music I loved online, and teaching myself to play it. After many hours (maybe 40?) of practice, I can play the Aria from Bach's Goldberg variations, and variation #7, at VERY slow tempos. Also the Cmaj and Fmaj Preludes from Shostakovitch's 24 Preludes & Fugues. My sons can sightread all of that faster and better than me.

What I would really like to get to is to be sufficiently proficient to sit down and sight-read pretty much any SATB hymn in your average hymnal. But pianists I know have told me that's actually not that easy, you have to build up a lot of other proficiency to get there.
Its pretty much the same on a guitar, it takes quite a while to develop confidence in playing and knowledge of the fretboard to site-read (or easily figure out how to play a piece). I still don't think I'm that good at it as I still need to take some time to slowly work through new tune.