Old 12-15-20, 01:38 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by Kobe
I saw this 620 up for sale on the Rivendell forum and was tempted. That blue really is awesome.

But I went down this road before and had the same problem as the seller, just a smidge too small.I built this 620 up about 5 years ago and it was really a great bike for all the reasons you have listed. Truly a great do it all bike if you are going to have only one. The only finicky part was the canti's have very little leeway on a 700c conversion. I tried modern Tektros and they would not work.

I am glad you got it because your write ups are so detailed that I can enjoy the build with out lifting a wrench.
Thank you for posting this photo and giving some extra context! Our saddle heights are going to be more or less identical. It looks like you like more reach than I do given what you've said and that stem. I've been thinking about getting some compact bars again (Nitto M151 this time, because pretty pretty Nittos) and going from a 100mm stem (with the Noodles presently) to a 110mm to maintain the same reach and gain some extra front end 'suspension' that those 10mm of stem length seem to provide (I've tested this before). My build may some day be remarkably similar to yours.

Thank you for your kind words on my build. I hope to keep it up, even if I know I have a good bit of canti brake fidgeting ahead of me. The MC70s have a good bit of wiggle room on their posts (compared to Tektro CR720s etc), so I'll see if I get four wolves howling at the moon when I go to stop or not. If so, then I'll shim them with some nifty super-thin nylon washers I picked up for my former Specialized Expedition.

Are those tires 38mm? I have yet to measure and determine maximum nominal tire size allowance, but will get to that today when I mount freshly-cleaned wheels.