Old 12-15-20, 06:23 PM
Marylander

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
What I would really like to get to is to be sufficiently proficient to sit down and sight-read pretty much any SATB hymn in your average hymnal. But pianists I know have told me that's actually not that easy, you have to build up a lot of other proficiency to get there.
When I was in my teens and very proficient at sightreading I helped the church choir practice for their cantatas and such. I would play the SATB from the cantata book along with them and would often have to play it for them on my own to demonstrate more difficult parts. I remember one that had a tough syncopation between the TB and the SA (so, left and right hands on piano). I nailed it on the first try and was so excited to have gotten it that I still remember ~32 years later. It's a lot of pressure doing that live in front of 40-50 people. It would be great to get even a little bit close to that skill now but I haven't managed to find the motivation just yet. I can go through a hymnal and play most anything in a country-gospel style though, albeit real sloppy.